It started as custodial care asylum in 1953 it transformed itself into Government Hospital for Mental Care in 60s and later attained the status of Institute in 70s, with addition of UG and PG training in psychiatry and as a research nodal centre in 2000(21st Century). The products of the Institute are all over the state, the country and the world doing their best for the psychiatrically ill in the society. The increase in the patient strength of the Hospital from all over the state and neighbouring districts of Karnataka and Maharashtra is an indicator of the quality services rendered by the Institute. The Institute has become a nodal centre for the National Mental Health Programs of the state as well as a recognized centre for carrying out WHO sponsored psycho-social support programs like Training of Private Psychiatrists in common psychiatric disorders, suicide and disaster management, and a Centre for Research.
The unfolding of this Hospital into an Institute of Excellence for mental Health, has been in line with the development of Mental Health Delivery System in India. The Institute started community Health Services in 1980 at Shankerpally, Medak much before the implementation of National Mental Health Program (1982). This shows the vision of Dr. P. Raghurami Reddy, to reach mental Health to the unreached, disadvantaged mentally ill population in rural areas.
Again the Institute has a distinction of opening family wards and open wards, involving the family members in treatment as early as 1985, which has been recommendation of NHRC in 1999. The staff, faculty and the superintendent of the institute took initiative to trace majority of the families of chronically ill mental patients slogging in the wards and helped them reach their families in 1986.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.