The Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour (IPHB) was established as an independent entity on 8th December 1980, after amalgamation of the Mental Hospital which was functioning under the Directorate of Health Services since July 1957, and the Department of Psychiatry of the Goa Medical College functioning since 1968.
The IPHB was shifted from Altinho, Panaji to a newly built premises admeasuring 27.6 Hect. of land on 28th May 2001, in close proximity with the tertiary care hospital and college, Goa Medical College, Bambolim Goa.
At present bed strength of the Hospital is 190. The IPHB primarily seeks to provide preventive, curative and rehabilitative mental health services.
Currently IPHB has 05 male and 04 female wards for patients. In addition there are separate wards for patients coming from the prisons.