The Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi Regional Institute of Mental Health (LGBRIMH) was initially set up as Tezpur Lunatic Asylum under the British Government in April, 1876.
In 1922 the hospital was rechristened as Tezpur Mental Hospital. With the progress in the field of psychiatry across the globe, steps were also taken to develop this hospital with modern facilities. Major construction activities were started in 1926. A private firm, “Zardine Menezes Co.,” was hired from Calcutta for undertaking the upgradation works. By the end of 1932 the hospital accommodation rose up to 700 beds. Most of the existing buildings in the Indoor section are of those times.
After the Independence, the hospital was brought under the Government of Assam. In 1949, Late Dr. N. C. Bordoloi became the Superintendent of the hospital. During his tenure, the hospital saw marked improvement in the administration and treatment services. Dr. Bordoloi was the first psychiatrist in the country to receive the Padmashree Award from the Government of India for his dedicated service.
With the increase in patient flow, a new Out-Patient Department (OPD) was built in 1987. In the following year, another two storied building was built to accommodate the increased number of patients. Subsequently, in 1989, the hospital was renamed as “Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi Institute of Mental Health”.
In 1999 the Institute was handed over to the North Eastern Council (NEC). Being the premier tertiary care psychiatric institute in the NE region, the hospital was upgraded to a regional institute with the objective of providing better mental health care and developing manpower in the region. The Institute was thereafter rechristened as “Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi Regional Institute of Mental Health.”
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.